The Dell Boys
The Dell Boys


36 die from smoke in Philippine casino after gunman sets fire

36 die from smoke in Philippine casino after gunman sets fire

Metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde says 36 people suffocated from smoke after a gunman stormed into a casino-hotel complex and set fire to gambling tables before fleeing with a bag of casino chips.

CNN Philippines reported he was found in the room, burned beyond recognition, next to an automatic weapon and a.380 caliber pistol.

There was no evidence linking the attack at the Resorts World Manila entertainment complex to fighting between government troops and militants in the country's south, said Mr Ernesto Abella.

Police said it appeared the suspect had killed himself after firing at officers searching the still-smoking building.

Gen. Ronald Dela Rosa said one gunman is believed to be behind the attack early Friday and is still at large.

Dozens of people died after a gunman whom police described as a robber fired shots and set fires at a casino resort complex in the Philippines. Many are also now questioning the security measures inside.

The police chief confirmed his original statement to the AP that there is "no concrete evidence that the attack was terrorism" - despite President Trump's opening remarks while announcing the US withdrawal from the Paris accord on climate change.

Resorts World Manila is a hotel heavily populated by tourists.

A lone gunman launched a deadly attack on the gaming area at Resorts World Manila, killing 38 people and wounding 70 civilians.

About 90 minutes after the attack began, Resorts World Manila said in its Facebook account that it was "currently on lockdown following reports of gunfire from unidentified men", adding "the company is working closely with the Philippine National Police to ensure that all guests and employees are safe".

"We have no official information as to the identity or affiliation of the persons responsible for this attack", the firm said in the hotel's official Twitter account.

Reilly told reporters that members of the casino's security team were able to shoot and wound the gunman, prompting him to take shelter in a room where he then killed himself.

Officials said at least 30 people were hurt, some seriously, as they rushed to escape what at first had been feared as a "terrorist" attack.

"I was about to return to the second floor from my break when I saw people running".

A statement from ISIS stated an Islamic State fighter, identified as Abou al-Kheir al-Arkhebieli, was the gunman.

"We are doing our very best to inform the families of the victims", the resort said in its latest statement.

follow

editors' picks