The Dell Boys
The Dell Boys

Police names London Tube attack suspect

Police names London Tube attack suspect

The first suspect, an 18-year-old man, was arrested early Saturday in the departure area of the port of Dover, where ferries leave for France on a regular basis.

Police said yesterday that they were searching a residential property in Stanwell, Surrey, close to the perimeter of London's Heathrow Airport, in connection with the Hounslow arrest. Neither has been charged.

The Islamic State militant group (ISIS) claimed responsibiity for the bomb blast on its Amaq news agency but authorities are yet to present any indication that the jihadist group played a role in the attack. The police said that the evacuation was done just as a precautionary measure.

Local media reported that the Sunbury home belongs to a couple who have fostered hundreds of children, including refugees.

After the bombing, security measures were immediately tightened across London's vast mass-transit network and the government described the threat level as critical, meaning another attack could be imminent.

"London's response to this attack shows once again that we will never be intimidated by terrorism". The balance of attack could have been much worse, according to first minister, who said on Friday that explosive device was meant to do " enormous damage ".

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said they are "aware of the footage" but added they are "not prepared to discuss [it] further at this time". The level of "severe" is the second highest level.

Two men, aged 18 and 21, have been arrested in connection with the Parsons Green attack.

Members of Yahya's family confirmed to ABC News that the man in the video was Yahya but said they had not yet been contacted by authorities about his arrest.

Police are combing through closed-circuit TV images and have extensively studied the remains of the partially detonated explosive device, which was contained in a bucket with wires hanging out of it and concealed in a plastic shopping bag.

However, Home Secretary Amber Rudd says that over the next few days, the military will return to their original positions, having supported police over the weekend following the bombing on Friday.

The bomb struck as passengers were traveling toward the center of the British capital. Police said on Thursday that terrorism-related arrests had risen 68 percent over the past year.

In addition, a suicide bomber struck a packed concert hall in Manchester in northern England, killing 22 people. Experts cautioned that the group often claims attacks it may have only inspired, as well as ones in which it had no involvement.


editors' picks